Opaa! Food Management endorses animal welfare and the humane treatment of livestock. Opaa! Food Management does not own, raise, transport or process animals. We do, however, seek to work with suppliers who are leaders in their industries with regard to animal welfare and that follow strict animal welfare policies.
Opaa! Food Management works with suppliers who focus on responsible practices in the supply chain by:
- Working with dairy manufacturers who have eliminated artificial rBST from milk and yogurt products.
- Working with pork suppliers who have committed to phase out gestation stalls by 2017.
- Working with poultry suppliers who have committed to the humane treatment of livestock at farms and processing facilities.
- Working with poultry suppliers who use eggs produced in housing systems that provide healthy and humane conditions for laying hens. All of our suppliers are members of the Coalition for Sustainable Egg Supply (CSES). CSES is a multi-stakeholder group comprised of leading animal welfare scientists, academic institutions, non-government organizations, egg suppliers, and restaurant/foodservice and food retail companies. In partnership with these suppliers, Opaa!’s cage-free egg commitment includes all company purchases of liquid, pre-cracked eggs in the U.S. by 2020, or sooner if supplies become available.
- Working with beef suppliers who use beef originated from U.S. produced livestock and who use cattle humanely handled in accordance with all applicable USDA regulations.